Sunday, July 7, 2013

Finish What You Start

See that sentence up there? Yeah, well, that's mainly directed to yours truly. I've always had this problem: finishing what I start. I don't know what it is about completing a task that is so difficult to me, but I just can't seem to do it! And I mean finishing almost anything! Even finishing up a blog post (hence my lack in posts in general).

Now, I have a couple theories as to why this happens to me.

Found this somewhere on tumblr, and found it really cute.
1) I tend to be a perfectionist in things that I care about. For example, in order for me to complete a blog post (kudos to me for even finishing this one), it needs to live up to the standards that I've put for myself. The problem is, I feel like in so many ways, I don't have the knowledge or power to do the things I want to do to their full potential! Which brings me to...

2) I get frustrated easily, which leads to me quitting. Now, being the perfectionist I am (in certain things), when I feel like I can't finish a project perfectly, I just give up before I even finish! In my head, it's like, why even bother when I know it's not going to succeed. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the main reasons for failure. If you never try, how can you succeed?

3) Laziness? As much as I hate to admit it, I can be on a bit of the lazy side of things. Okay, maybe a lot on the lazy side. But, in my defense, it does come back to reasons 1 and 2. And maybe my whole shyness thing going on. I'm too damn scared about what people will think of me, and it sucks! I really need to stop with that crap.

And last but not least... 4) Impatience. I am probably one of the most impatient people I know! I honestly have an issue. When I start anything, I hope (and even expect) immediate success. Like this blog for instance; when I started, I was hoping for 100000000 readers immediately. Naive, I know. But what can I do?! That's just the way my brain works my friend.

So anyways, the point of this post was to just tell you guys (and myself especially) to just finish what you start. It's not always going to end up the way you want it to, and it might not live up to your expectations. And who knows, you might actually end up with something better than you had initially anticipated. So, start a project, give it your all, and try to finish it. And take pride in it, no matter how crappy it can be!

xx, Raneem

No comments:

Post a Comment